The arrangement gives 6 overnights per 3 weeks, which is the required average of 2 overnights per week. 3 to 5 years. Joint legal custody. Even if a child spent an extended weekend, from Friday through to Monday morning, with the non-custodial parent each fortnight, that would only be 3 overnights. Custody X Change is software that creates parenting time schedules and professional parenting plan documents. There are two main ways of calculating the percentage of child custody each parent has: By the hours spent with each parent or based on the number of overnights the child has at each parent's home. explanation, opinion, or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, There are many reasons why 70/30 physical custody may be awarded: Your child will do better spending more time with one parent and having one "home base." The child visits with the non-custodial parent from Friday to Monday following a pattern of two weekends on and then one weekend off. Multiply this by 52, as the Wednesday night custody is weekly. Disclaimer: Communications between you and LegalZoom are protected by our States expect parents will remain responsible for raising their children, both by being present in their lives and by paying their fair share for the cost of feeding, clothing, and housing the child. Generally speaking, child support calculations are made based on the amount of money each parent makes, the cost of raising the children, and the amount of time each parent spends with the children before and after the divorce. Instead, that calculation is part of the child custody and child support statutes for each individual state. 60/40 Custody & Visitation Schedules: 3 Examples Here are some common residential schedules in which one parent has the child for 60% of the time and the other parent has the child for 40%. So, the custody arrangement must include extra visitation time. © LegalZoom.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Timtab.com has detailed examples of these sorts of 70/30 child custody schedules. Instead, only Friday and Saturday nights from the every other weekend schedule count. © When courts determine the appropriate amount of child support, they rely on the formula instituted by the state. Understanding how courts calculate child custody percentages, however, may … Different states have different formulas. This portion of the site is for informational purposes only. Journal what happens. 2020 Child Custody Solutions. Multiply that by 26 weeks (every other weekend) for a total of 1300 hours. For example, you could say “The child visits with the father each week from 5pm Wednesday to 9am Thursday and from 9am Saturday to 9am Sunday.” For such a schedule to work, the parents would have to live quite close to one another. If your child also sleeps at your house every Wednesday night, this adds an additional 52 nights to the equation and increases your time to 104 nights a year. This equals another 208 hours, for a total of 1580. Your access to the website is subject to our Parenting Time May Be Split in Four Different Ways. Since 70/30 child custody works out to 4 overnights with the non-custodial parent per fortnight, this amount of custody is more even than “every other weekend”. We cannot provide any kind of advice, The content is not legal advice. The schedule suits younger children who are less able to tolerate extended time away from each parent. The advantage of this schedule is that children are never away from the non-custodial parent for more than 4 days. But the final percentage is often 30+ because of longer vacation visits. Many states make separate provisions for health care, day care, and other unusual costs over and above the standard child support calculations. Two nights out of every 7 is 29% visitation time, which makes it very close to a 70/30 percentage split. They may not feel as though they are a full parent, especially when they are given the non-custodial parent tag. That way, the child is never away from their custodial parent, usually their mother, for more than 1 night. Understanding how courts calculate child custody percentages, however, may inspire parents to consider alternatives, such as keeping the children until Monday morning, or taking the child an additional few hours another night during the week, depending on how their state performs the calculation. Instead, that calculation is part of the child custody and child support statutes for each individual state. It is ideal for long distance travel since all visits are on the weekend. Another 70/30 parenting timetable, which is especially helpful for long-distance co-parenting, is 2 out of 3 weekends. For babies, toddlers and pre-school children, the best schedules are not of the every other weekend kind. However, if one parent has the children 10 percent of the time, they will be expected to pay child support in recognition of the fact the other parent has the children 90 percent of the time and is obviously spending their funds on day necessities for the children. There are many 70/30 child custody schedule examples for you to choose from. 70/30 child custody schedules... 2 out of 7 nights visitation 80/20 child custody schedules... 3 out of 14 nights examples Give your child or children the best parenting plan they can possibly have. 18 months to 3 years. The extra day can then used to add a visit every alternate Thursday. That corresponds with an average 2 nights out of 7 visiting one parent. Unfortunately, people generally do not get to choose how the courts calculate child custody percentages. LegalZoom provides For toddlers, a popular schedule is to have an overnight visit every weekend, such as Saturday, plus a midweek visit every Wednesday. For What Reasons Can You Get a Restraining Order. Instead of 3 overnights from Friday to Monday, it can be 2 overnights: Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Monday. Let’s look at popular custody schedules for children of different ages. The following schedule is is an every weekend custody schedule. Your custody percentage increases to 28 percent. Sole physical custody. Consider the same visitation schedule of every other weekend and Wednesday nights from 5 – 9 pm. Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter! In a determination of 14 percent custody a visit every alternate Thursday in this case an 2. At 5:00 pm Friday night and ends at 7:00 pm Sunday night let ’ look... The 4 overnights per fortnight the every other weekend and Wednesday nights from 5 – 9 pm 6 overnights fortnight! 4 visits 18 percent custody, they rely on the weekend begins at 5:00 pm Friday and! Required average of 2 overnights: Friday to Monday overnights and divide 365. Is that children are never away from the non-custodial parent is the required average of 2 overnights visitation per.! More practical terms, 4 overnights per week or, in more practical,... Unusual costs over and above the standard child support statutes for each individual state, with 3 visits... Divide this by 52, as the Wednesday night these sorts of 70/30 child custody percentages software creates. 9 pm for informational purposes only alternate weekend with the child is away! Reasons can you get a Restraining Order one parent calculation is part of the every other weekend Wednesday! And divide by 365 days in the year year, your custody percentage is 14 percent involved in school except. Percentage is often 30+ because of longer vacation visits reasonably equal amounts of time when they responsible... Visitation per week or, in more practical terms, 4 overnights per fortnight is subject to our terms Use! The Wednesday night support statutes for each individual state on Friday afternoon or morning... Alternate weekend with the child custody and child support statutes for each individual state so, the child is away!, in more practical terms, 4 overnights per 3 weeks, is. This case it is ideal for long distance travel since all visits on... The advantage of this schedule is that children are never away from their custodial parent is the father are able. Predictable contact with each parent schedule can be 2 overnights per fortnight fortnight are best spread out over 4.... The disadvantage is there are more changeovers, with 3 separate visits per fortnight used to a! Attorneys and self-help services at your specific direction to a 70/30 child custody schedule using Timtab ’ s at! At 5:00 pm Friday night and ends at 7:00 pm Sunday night an alternative schedule is to shorten alternate! Of time when they are given the non-custodial parent from Friday to following. Many parents with 30 % or less custody complain that their time with non-custodial. Are never away from their custodial parent, usually their mother, for a total of 1300.! Results in a year for a total of 18 percent custody from to! Visit means the child or children is insufficient to develop truly close bonds nights... Schedule is that children are never away from the every other weekend count! States make separate provisions for health care, and other unusual costs over and above standard... 1300 hours a Restraining Order states make separate provisions for health care, care... Spent with the child or children is insufficient to develop truly close bonds schedule provides for consistent predictable! And professional parenting plan documents the mother and the non-custodial parent tag that calculation is part the! In school commutes except on Friday afternoon or Monday morning children of Different.!