He relates how he knew every part of the machinery that operated [the] light and the fog signal...as good as my dad. He claims that his father was a stickler for proper procedures, and that it was beat into your head that what you were doing was for the protection of the lives of people. Later in the article, we learn that this attitude emanated from the top down. Hotels near Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park; Near Airports. Remodeled in 2010, these cabins are perfect for small families, fishermen going out … Seafaring vessels can dock at a river pier and proceed directly along the boardwalk to the lighthouse and other attractions. In a modern-day interview, Marion Humphreys, son of Piney Point Lighthouse keeper Loch Humphreys, gave a compelling account of the work ethic a light steward had to maintain. Keeper Yeatmans father served as keeper of Point Lookout Lighthouse for nearly forty years, and in 1931, William Yeatman, Jr. took a demotion to become assistant keeper at Point Lookout, where he had spent his childhood. The nine-sided lantern, currently painted black, is accessed via an iron ships ladder that ascends through the lantern deck. A long reed horn replaced the bell in 1936. LEONARDTOWN, Md. A bell tower was added in 1880 and was in service until 1954 when Hurricane Hazel damaged it beyond repair. It is known as the Lighthouse of Presidents because several early US Presidents visited or stayed on the grounds. This money was used for external lighting of the grounds, landscaping, benches and picnic tables, and brick repairs for the keepers house. The lighthouse grounds are open daily during daylight hours. Hotels near (IAD) Dulles Intl Airport; Hotels near (DCA) Ronald Reagan National Airport; Hotels near (BWI) Balt.-Wash. Intl Airport; All things to do in Piney Point; Things to do near Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park. The tower was the first of eleven lighthouses to be built along the river, and it is one of only three historic lighthouses that remain standing today (the other two being Jones Point and Fort Washington). Masks and social distancing are required at all museums. In addition to the tower, Donahoo built a three-room, one-story keepers dwelling topped by an A-line roof. The scenic environment of Piney Point was the summer getaway of many Washington D.C. notables for much of the nineteenth century. The Coast Guard decommissioned it in 1964 and it has since become a museum. In March 1880, a thirty-foot, wooden fog bell tower, built in the Victorian style, was added to the station to aid mariners in low-visibility conditions. Turn right and follow Lighthouse Road
Besides the U-boat connection to World War II, Piney Point also served as a torpedo testing range during the conflict. The keeper intrusted his duties to a negro wench.. At the end of World War II, the submarine was sailed to the United States where its novel skin was analyzed. Visitors can climb the lighthouse tower when the museum is open for operation. Apparently this inspectors high standards were well satisfied, as he once told the elder Loch Humphreys: Your place looks like a man o war.. Find the closest hotels to Piney Point Lighthouse, Select a photograph to view a photo gallery. ft.) lot listed for sale on 7/18/2017. The scenic environment of Piney Point was the summer getaway of many Washington D.C. notables for much of the nineteenth century. U.S. National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Maryland", "Lighthouses of the United States: Maryland", University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Piney Point Coast Guard Light Station", Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Project - Piney Point Light, Piney Point Coast Guard Light Station, St. Mary's County, National Register of Historic Places portal, Craighill Channel Lower Range Front Light, Craighill Channel Upper Range Front Light, History of the National Register of Historic Places, Category:National Register of Historic Places in Maryland, Portal:National Register of Historic Places, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Piney_Point_Light&oldid=934502594, Lighthouses on the National Register of Historic Places in Maryland, National Register of Historic Places in St. Mary's County, Maryland, Lighthouses in St. Mary's County, Maryland, Articles using NRISref without a reference number, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Pages using infobox lighthouse with NRHP heritage, Pages using infobox lighthouse with NRHP embedded, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Piney Point in St. Marys County, Maryland, about 13 miles from the mouth of the Potomac River, place listed on the National Register of Historic Places, This page was last edited on 6 January 2020, at 22:12. Twenty-six-foot-tall Piney Point originally employed ten lamps, set in spherical reflectors, to produce a fixed white light. The nearby Piney Point Lighthouse, Museum and Historic Park is open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. from April through December, during which time tours of the lighthouse and exhibits are given. View more property details, sales history and Zestimate data on Zillow. The Coast Guard decommissioned it in 1964 and it has since become a museum. Since Pleasanton held great sway over lighthouse construction for three decades, John Donahoos building style was repeatedly endorsed. The Coast Guard decommissioned it in 1964 and it has since become a museum. This beacon stands preserved today as a witness to a bygone era of high society where many from Washington DC and beyond would travel to Piney Point … Other improvements to the property include a boardwalk that traverses a path from the keepers house to a Potomac River pier amid a sand beach and pine trees. Walk-ups are welcome at St. Clement’s Island Museum and the Old Jail Museum, although tour reservations are recommended at Piney Point Lighthouse Museum as walk-up space is limited. On June 5, 1855, the old lighting apparatus of ten oil lamps and fifteen-inch reflectors was replaced by a more efficient fifth-order Fresnel lens, increasing the lighthouses visibility from ten to eleven miles. On August 2, 1921, he anchored a power canoe after it had broken loose from its anchor and sank near the station, and on February 2, 1926, he helped a man who stopped at the station after injuring his knee cap very badly. Piney Point Lighthouse. The Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park, St. Marys County, Maryland website. The Piney Point Lighthouse was built in 1836 located at Piney Point on the Potomac River in Maryland just up the river from the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The lanterns floor is made of radially laid stone wedges, and the outer parapet wall is composed of masonry. Exhibits at the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum focus on the lighthouse, the United States Coast Guard, the Piney Point area, and the story of the Black Panther U-1105 German submarine sunk in the Potomac that now serves as a shipwreck dive preserve. Prior to this, a lightship was stationed in the area since 1821 to mark dangerous shoals at Piney Point. The U-boat was later used as a target for new explosives testing, before being intentionally sunk off Piney Point. From the Capital Beltway (Interstate 495-95) in Washington D.C., take Exit 7a and go south on Route 5 (Branch Ave.) Continue south on 5 for roughly 53 miles until you
Grounds open, dwelling closed, tower open in season. LEONARDTOWN – The St. Clement’s Island Museum, the Old Jail Museum and Piney Point Lighthouse Museum, the museums are overseen by the St. Mary’s County Museum Division, present opportunities to kick off the holiday season by exploring local history, experience brand-new exhibits great for children at Piney Point and completing your holiday shopping list at the Museum Stores over … Piney Point Lighthouse, Museum and Historic Park. We visited Piney Pt., the oldest lighthouse in Maryland (1830's, I recall). Congress appropriated $5000 to build the lighthouse in 1836. Head Keepers: Philip Clark (1836 1840), Henry J. Harbor Lights Piney Point, MD Lighthouse, #339 Condition is "New". Donahoos works were cheap and sturdy, allowing him to make low bids that were to the liking of the frugal Fifth Auditor of the Treasury, Stephen Pleasanton. (Route 498) for 1.4 miles to its end at the parking area for the lighthouse. In 1835, Congress set aside $5,000 for construction of a land-based beacon to replace the lightship, and the contract was awarded to the prolific lighthouse builder John Donahoo. While William Yeatman, Jr. was serving as keeper of Piney Point in the 1920s, he was commended on at least two occasions for rendering assistance outside his normal duties.